Who We Are Today
Today, the Covina Chamber is a coalition of business owners and other professionals who strive for better community and connection through coworking together. We are supported by membership investments, a special Chairman’s Club, program user fees, and fundraising. To fully and effectively represent the business community, the Chamber funds its own activities.
We are always looking forward, manifesting new ways to promote and provide resources for our members, using tools to make sure they are able to PRIME their businesses, and get the most out of their membership.
Our Chamber History
The Covina Chamber of Commerce was founded in 1900 as an independent association of businesses organized to encourage a strong local economy, strong government, and a high quality of life through informed and active membership. We have been serving the community of Covina for over 100 years, from rural farms and orange groves, to the central San Gabriel Valley business hub that the City is today.
The Chamber was first proposed in a July 13, 1895 issue of the Covina Argus, the local newspaper of the time. After becoming official in 1900, the chamber has contributed to a number of events and causes that have supported the community through the last several decades:
The Chamber was active in fundraising, forming “Booster” events to support the war effort. It also participated with other Chambers in “Parade Down Broadway” in 1915.
The Chamber formed a Booster program that included large signs spelling out “COVINA,” erected at the corners of Citrus and Badillo, and Citrus and San Bernardino Road. This program also included a contest for a City slogan, which received 364 entries. The winning slogan was “One mile square and all there,” and the grand prize was $20.
The Chamber sponsored the May Day celebration – themed “The Spirit of Summer” – with the American Legion. It included a floral parade, followed by Maypole dances as part of the festivities.
Board of Directors
Harstine, Donna & Steve